Wythe County is named for George Wythe, who was the first Virginian to sign the Declaration of Independence.
Created: December 1, 1789
Wytheville 1790 – present
Old County Courthouse – Wytheville
Location: 215 South Fourth Street / West Spring Street
Built: 1900 – 1902
Architect: Frank P Milburn
Contractor: J E Parrish
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building sits on a low hill which descends on the north side. The northeast front has a projecting center section with a large portico with four columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. There is a wide balcony on the second story. On the center of the roof is a large square dome dome with clock and gold colored roof at the top. The building is used for county offices.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and built by James Toncray in 1818. The building was razed in 1900 when the 1900 courthouse was constructed. The old courthouse bell is housed in the County District Court Building.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
County Judicial Center – Wytheville
Location: 225 South Fourth Street / West Spring Street
Built: 1997 – 1999
Architect: J A Gibson & Associates
Contractor: Swope Construction Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The front has wide steps ascending to a large portico with four columns rising to a large portico at the roof line. The building sits on the side of a low hill descending on the north side. The building is “L” shaped with a south west wing extending behind the District Court Building. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Law enforcement and Judicial Center. The old courthouse is southwest across the plaza/
County District Court – Wytheville
Location: 245 South Fourth Street / West Spring Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Smithey & Boynton of Roanoke
Contractor: Richard E Phillippi Inc. of Wytheville
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces southwest and was completed in 1974. The southwest front has an arcade with five arches and recessed entrance. The roof line is flat. The building served as the Circuit Court Building and became the District Court Building. The old courthouse is located on the west side. An addition was added in 1982. The architect and contractor was Burwil Construction Company Inc. of Bristol, Tennessee.
N – Bland County
E – Pulaski County
W – Smyth County
Photos taken 2013