Washington County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Washington County
0974VM13

Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.

 

Surrounmding County Courthouses: 

N – Russell County

E – Smyth County and Grayson County

S – Johnson County, Tennessee, Sullivan County, Tennessee and Bristol

W – Scott County 

 

Created:  October 7, 1776                      Map of Virginia highlighting Washington County

County Seat: 

Abingdon   1777 – present

 

County Courthouse – Abingdon  

 

Location:  191 East Main Street / Court Street NE

Built:  1867 – 1868

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  James Fields, David Fields and Hockman.

Contractor:  James Fields, David Fields and Hockman.

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story colored red brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Abingdon. The southeast front has a large porch with four large white colored Doric columns rising to the roof line. An Italianate cornice follows the flat roof line. The recessed central entrance is framed with white colored wood. On the roof is a tiered square white colored cupola. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 28th Judicial Circuit.On the northwest and southwest sides is a new addition constructed in 1954. The building was renovated in 1987. The architect was Dewberry & Davis and the contractor was Harold Kistner Construction Company.

 

Note:  Of special note is the Tiffany stained glass window above the courthouse entrance. It was dedicated on July 4, 1919, to honor those who served in World War I. The courthouse is the only courthouse built in Virginia during Reconstruction.

 

Note:  In 2021, Burwil Construction of Bristol, Tennessee has won a contract for design and engineering of the reconstruction and expansion of the historic Washington County Courthouse in Abingdon for $1.140,000.

 

See:  The 28th Judicial Circuit includes Bristol and Smyth County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1776 and Abingdon was selected as the county seat in 1777. The first courthouse was built in 1799. Three earlier courthouses stood on the present site. The second courthouse was constructed about 1800. The third courthouse was built by Herbert Ledbetter and William Fields in 1850 and was burned during the Civil War by Union soldiers in December 1864. The fourth and present Washington County courthouse was constructed in 1867 to 1868 

 

 

0975vm13

County Courthouse – Abingdon

 

 

0976vm13

 

 

0977vm13

 

 

0978vm13

 

 

0979vm13

 

 

0980vm13

 

 

0982vm13

 

 

0981vm13

 

 

0985vm13

 

 

0986vm13

 

 

0973vm13

 

 

0988vm13

Photos taken 2013