Suffolk is named for the City of Suffolk in England, United Kingdom.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Newport News
Courthouse – Suffolk
Location: 150 North Main Street / Bank Street
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Moseley Harris & McClintock
Contractor: Shirley Construction Corporation
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a high projecting section at the northwest corner with three rectangular openings with recessed glass panels and doorways on the first story. The third story is recessed with square windows and flat roof line. The building is named as the Mills E Godwin Courts Building.
Old Nansemond County Courthouse – Suffolk
Location: 524 North Main Street / Constance Way
Built: 1838 – 1840
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Mills Riddick
Contractor: Mills Riddick
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has a large porch with four high white colored columns. The recessed entrance is framed with white colored wood. The roof is hipped. An addition was added in the 1909. The architect was John Keven Peebles. The building served as the Nansemond County Courthouse until 1972 and as the Suffolk City Courthouse until 1998, The building is was converted to the Visitor Center in 2010. The architect was Wiley & Wilson and the contractor was E T Gresham Company Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1755 and burned in 1779 and the second courthouse was built in 1779 and burned in 1837. The builder of the courthouse in 1838 is presumed to have been Mills Riddick who designed and built the Riddick House in 1837. The first courthouse was built in 1755 and burned in 1779 and the second courthouse was built in 1779 and burned in 1837.
Photos taken 2013