Southampton County is named for Henry Wriothesley, who was the third Earl of Southampton and treasurer of the London Company.
Created: April 30, 1749
Courtland 1749 – present
County Courthouse – Courtland
Location: 22350 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1834 – 1835
Style: Roman Revival
Architect: Jeremiah Cobb and Clements Rochelle
Contractor: Jeremiah Cobb and Clements Rochelle
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a large porch with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with white colored wood. On the center of the roof is a small white colored octagonal cupola. An addition was constructed in 1925. On the south side is a two story addition constructed in 1960. The architect was Shriver and Holland and the contractor was Silas S Kea and Sons.
Photos taken 2013