Smyth County is named for Alexander Smyth, who was a former Congressman from Virginia.
Created: February 23, 1832
Marion 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Marion
Location: 109 West Main Street / North Church Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: Stephenson & Getaz of Knoxville, Tennessee
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story gray colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building faces southeast and was completed in 1906. The southeast front has a large porch with eight columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story and arched windows. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large flat octagonal dome. An addition was constructed on the north side in 1973 to 1974. The architect was Echols-Sparger & Associates and the contractor was Lincoln Builders Supply, Company, Inc. Further additions were added in 1976 and 2012 when the architect was Moseley Architects..
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and built by John Dameron and Thomas W Mercer in 1834.
Note: Every courthouse needs an eccentric character or event. Approximately 45-50 years ago, allegedly a drunk came into the courthouse. At that time the courthouse also served as the City Treasurer’s office. This man gave them a painting of a Dutchmen. He wanted that Dutchman to “guard the money.” It is now sitting above the vault of the Treasurer’s Office. During renovation of the building, one of the Clerks took it home for safekeeping. It was to returned to it’s lofty perch when it was safe.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
S – Grayson County
Photos taken 2013