Rockingham is named for the Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham, who was a Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Created: October 20. 1777
Harrisonburg 1777 – present
County Courthouse – Harrisonburg
Location: Courthouse Square / Market Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Architect: T J Collins & Son
Contractor: W E Spiers
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored rough cut stone structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The south front has a one story stone porch with three arches and one arch on each side. The second story has a balcony with square stone tower rising to five stories with clock and green colored dome and statue of Justice at the top. The hipped roof is red colored. The building was renovated in 1931. The architect was C H Hinnant of Lynchburg and the contractor was Harrisburg Building & Supply Company. The building was further renovated in 1993 to 1994. The architect was The Mosely-McClintock Group and the contractor was Nielsen Construction Company, Inc.
Note: Previous courthouses were constructed in 1833 and 1874.
Judicial Center – Harrisonburg
Location: 80 Courthouse Square / West Market Street
Built: 1991 – 1993
Architect: McClintock & Associates of Harrisburg and I V Harris & Associates, Inc. of Virginia Beach
Contractor: Howard Shockey & Sons, Inc. of Winchester
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the west side of the courthouse. The main entrance is located on the northeast corner with a recessed porch supported by one tall pillar. Along the east and north sides are arches on the first story, The windows are small. The red colored roof is hipped. The building houses the District Court and is located across from the courthouse along Courthouse Square.
S – Augusta County
W – Pendleton County, West Virginia
Picture 1833 Courthouse
Picture 1874 Courthouse
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2013