Roanoke County is named for the Roanoke River which is named for the Native American word meaning “shell money”.
Independent City Created: February 3, 1882
Courthouse – Roanoke
Location: 315 Church Avenue SW / 3rd Street SW
Built: 1980 – 1982
Architect: Hayes, Seay, Mattern & Mattern
Contractor: R E Lee & Sons, Incorporated
Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass style structure. The south front has a large recessed glass wall which runs along the east side. A horizontal concrete band runs between the first and second stories. A wide horizontal concrete sections runs below the flat roof line.
N – Roanoke County
E – Roanoke County
S – Roanoke County
W – Roanoke County
Photos taken 2013