Roanoke County is named for the Roanoke River which is named for the Native American word meaning “shell money”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Bedford County
Created: March 30, 1838
Salem 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Salem
Location: 305 East Main Street / Thompson Memorial Drive
Built: 1982 – 1984
Architect: VVKR Incorporated
Contractor: Creative Construction & Development Corporation
Description: The building faces south and is a two story bluff colored brick, glass concrete style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Salem. The east front has a central recessed entrance with two pillars. The entrance area extends west with a open passage extending north. The widows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and Count Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. Of the 23rd Judicial Circuit.
Old County Courthouse – Salem
Location: 301 East Main Street / Thompson Memorial Drive
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Harry H Huggins
Contractor: King Lumber Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Salem on the west side of the courthouse. The south front has a large portico with four tall Ionic columns rising to a pediment at the roof life. The recessed entrance has a small pediment above. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with red colored dome and eagle at the top. In the interior, the former courtroom was located on the second story. In 1949 to 1949, a two story yellow colored brick addition was constructed on the north side. The building ceased to serve as the courthouse in 1984 and was renamed as the Francis T West Hall, a part of the adjacent Roanoke College.
See: The courthouse is similar to the 1909 Franklin County courthouse also designed by Harvey H Huggins.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Roanoke County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1838 and Salem was selected as the county seat. The court first met on the second story of the James C Huff Building. The first courthouse was a two-story brick structure built by William C Williams of Salem in 1841. The courthouse was torn down in 1909 and the second courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910 at a cost of $34,870. The courthouse was sold in 1985. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1980 to 1981.
County Courthouse – Salem
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2013