Richmond is named for the town of Richmond in England, which town became part of City of London.
Created: April 1737
Courthouse – Richmond
Location: 400 North 9th Street / Clay Street
Built: 1974 – 1976
Architect: C F Murphy Associates and Wright, Jones & Wilkerson, Inc.
Contractor: J A Jones Construction Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is raised above the street level with steps leading up to a plaza on the northeast and southeast sides of the building. The northwest section of the building is supported with pillars proving an open first story with glass entrance. The second and third stories have glass panels with black metal dividers. The base of the building is red colored brick clads the southwest portion of the building. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the John Marshall Courts Building.
See: Located in Richmond is the old Henrico County Courthouse at Main Street and 22nd Street.
Courthouse – Richmond ( Manchester )
Location: 920 Hull Street / East 9th Street
Style: Colonial Revival
Description: The building faces northwest and is a one story red colored brick structure. The roof is hipped. The building is connected to the modern red colored brick courthouse which faces onto East 9th Street.
Note: During Reconstruction, Manchester was briefly the county seat of Chesterfield County, from 1870 until 1876. County voters approved the move from Chesterfield Court House, and the cornerstone of the new courthouse was laid on March 31, 1871. The former courthouse complex on Hull Street is now the Manchester Division of the Richmond City courts. Manchester became an independent city in 1874, and was therefore no longer technically located in Chesterfield County. In the election that year, county voters were again asked if they wished to relocate the county seat elsewhere, but rejected a move following a heated campaign, by a vote of 1,442 to 388. However, when the question of a move came up once again on the 1876 ballot, voters approved, 1290 to 772, a return to Chesterfield Court House, which became effective on July 1 that year.
See: Located in Richmond is the Virginia Supreme Court and Virginia Appeal Court.
N – Henrico County
E – Henrico County
W – Henrico County
Photos taken 2013