Prince William County is named for Prince William, Duke of Cumberland, who was a son of King George II of Great Britain.
Created: February 1, 1727
Dumfries 1760 – 1822
Brentville 1822 – 1894
Manassas 1894 – present
Old County Courthouse – Manassas
Location: 9248 Lee Avenue / Grant Avenue
Built: 1893 – 1894
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James C Teague and Philip Thornton Marye of Norfolk and Newport News
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and red colored structure. The south front has a projecting square tower with arched entrance on the first story. There is a small balcony on the third story of the tower and above is an octagonal red colored cupola with clock and red colored dome. The second story windows are narrow and arched.
County Courthouse – Manassas
Location: 9311 Lee Avenue / Peabody Street
Built: 1982 – 1984
Architect: LCB Architects
Contractor: LF Jennings.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building forms an “L” shape with a south wing and a west wing. The main entrance is located on the northeast side of the junction of the two wings with vertical brick pillars on either side, rising to the roof line. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. A buff colored brick addition was added on the north side in 2008. The architect was Moseley Architects
East – Charles County, Maryland
West – Fauquier County