Prince Edward County is named for Prince Edward Augustus, Duke of York and Albany, who was the younger brother of King George II of Great Britain and who lived from 1739 to 1767.
Created: February 27, 1751
Worsham 1754 – 1871
Farmville 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Farmville
Location: 124 North Main Street / High Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Hinnant & Smith
Contractor: Farmville Manufacturing Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The west front has a large portico in the center supported by four large columns with pediment above. On the center of the flat roof is a high narrow white colored cupola with green colored dome. On the east side is the modern addition constructed from 1997 to 1999. The architect was Faubert Architects and the contractor was Kenbridge Construction Company Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1872.
Photos taken 2013