Powhatan County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Powhatan County
1388VM13

Powhatan is named for the Powhatan Native American tribe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Goochland County

E – Chesterfield County

S – Amelia County

W – Cumberland County

 

Created:  May 5, 1777                            Map of Virginia highlighting Powhatan County

County Seat: 

Powhatan  1777 – present

 

County Courthouse – Powhatan  

 

Location:  3880 Old Buckingham Road / Scottsville Road

Built:  1848 – 1849

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Alexander Jackson Davis

Contractor:  K Lewis Johnson

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story cream colored stucco structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Powhatan. The original building is rectangular with the west front having a recessed porch with two columns and pediment at the roof line. On the east side is the new one story addition. With large glass windows. The building was remodeled in 1992. The architect was Browne, Eickman, Dalgleish, Gilpin & Paxton

 

History:  The first courthouse in 1777 was the Mosby Tavern built in 1740. The tavern served as the courthouse until the second courthouse was built by John Cox in Scottsville ( Powhatan ) in 1783 to 1786. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1848 to 1849.

 

 

1386vm13

County Courthouse – Powhatan

 

 

1387vm13

 

 

1389vm13

 

 

1391vm13

 

 

1390vm13

 

 

1392vm13

 

 

1393vm13

 

 

1394vm13

 

 

1395vm13

 

 

1396vm13

 

 

1397vm13

Photos taken 2013