Petersburg is named for Peter Jones, who was an early settler and merchant.
Independent City Created: March 16, 1850
Old Courthouse – Petersburg
Location: 1 Courthouse Avenue / North Sycamore Street
Built: 1838 – 1840
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Calvin Pollard of New York, New York
Contractor: Major Daniel Lyon and Captain Beverley Drinhard
Description: The building faces west and is a two story yellow colored brick and wood structure. The building sits at the crest of a hill. The west front has a large porch with six high white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance has a small balcony above on the second story. On the roof is a high round cupola with dome and statue of Justice at the top. .
Courthouse – Petersburg
Location: 7 Courthouse Avenue / North Sycamore Street
Built: 1994 – 1996
Architect: Bonet Comet Westmoreland + Hiner Architects
Contractor: Gulf Seaboard General Contractors Inc. of Ashland
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the slope of a hill. The west front has a central entrance with small pediment above. The east and west wings have gabled roofs.
District Courthouse – Lynchburg
Location: 3 East Tabb Street / North Adams Street
Description: The building faces south and is a one story glass and concrete structure. The building has a long porch with concrete pillars rising to the flat overhanging roof. The walls are glass panels with vertical concrete dividers. On the west side is a recessed section. The building houses the General District Court and the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.
W – Dinwiddie County
Photos taken 2013