Nelson County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Nelson County
1324VM13

Nelson County is named for Thomas Nelson, who was a governor of Virginia and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Augusta County

E – Albemarle County and Buckingham County

S – Appomattox County

W – Amherst County and Rockbridge County

 

Created:  December 25, 1807                Map of Virginia highlighting Nelson County

County Seat: 

Cablesville  1807 – 1808

Lovington    1808 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Lovington   

 

Location:  84 Court Street / Main Street

Built:  1808 – 1810

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Sheldon Crostwait

Contractor:  George Varnum.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored stuccoed brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lovington.  The rectangular shaped building is located on the spacious landscaped Courthouse Square with the new courthouse on the north side. The south front has five arches on the first story with a recessed entrance. On the north side are east and west wings with arches. On the hipped roof is an octagonal wood cupola with steep green colored roof. There are two additions: one of ten feet attached to the rear of the original structure and the other is a large lateral wing across the rear of the first addition. Both of these additions were constructed in 1940. The building was remodeled in 1968. In 2015 to 2016, the building was renovated. The architect was Jim Vernon of Architectural Partners and the contractor was Jamerson-Lewis Construction.

 

County Courthouse – Lovington   

 

1335vm13

 

Location:  84 Court Street / Main Street

Built:  2006 – 2008

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Randy Vaughan of Wiley & Wilson Inc.

Contractor:  Blair Construction

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red and white colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on the north side of the old courthouse in the center of Lovington. The west front has a large brick arch with recessed glass entrance. The building extends east and south with hipped green colored roof. 

 

History:  The first courthouse was Henry Key’s Ordinary in Cablesville erected in 1761 and which became the courthouse for Amherst County and continued in 1807 as the county courthouse. The building became a tavern and burned in 1917. The county seat was moved to Lovington in 1808. The second courthouse was built in 1808 to 1810 in Lovington and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 2006 to 2008.

 

 

1325vm13

Old County Courthouse – Lovington

 

 

1323vm13

 

 

1326vm13

 

 

1327vm13

 

 

1328vm13

 

 

1330vm13

 

 

1332vm13

 

 

1331vm13

 

 

1333vm13

 

 

1338vm13

County Courthouse – Lovington

 

 

1339vm13

 

 

1336vm13

 

 

1337vm13

 

 

1340vm13

 

 

1341vm13

Photos taken 2013