Montgomery County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Montgomery County
1009WV12

Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a United States general killed in the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Giles County and Craig County

E – Roanoke County

S – Floyd County

W – Pulaski County and Radford

 

Created:  October 7, 1776                      Map of Virginia highlighting Montgomery County

County Seat: 

Christiansburg  1777 – present

 

County Courthouse – Christiansburg 

 

Location:  55 East Main Street / Pepper Street SE

Built:  2009 – 2012

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Thompson & Litton of Radford

Contractor:  DeVere Construction of Alpena, Michigan

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a four story dark red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Christiansburg. The west front has a projecting center section with a recessed central entrance. There are four large pillars supporting a balcony on the second story. On the second story is a large glass section with a large arched glass section rising to a peaked roof. The main building has vertical windows with concrete panels between. A wide band runs below the hipped roof. There is stone trim at the cornersThe building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 27th Judicial Circuit.

 

Old County Courthouse – Christiansburg 

 

1004wv12

 

Location:  1 East Main Street / South Franklin Street

Built:  1974 – 1976

Style:  Modern / Brutalist

Architect:  Scherertz-Franklin

Contractor:  Graves Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Christiansburg. The south front has a large glass section at the central entrance. The upper stories have horizontal windows. The roof line is flat. The building is now an office building. On the grounds is the eagle from the 1909 County Courthouse.

 

See:  The 27th Judicial Circuit includes Bland CountyCarroll County, Floyd County, GalaxGiles CountyGrayson County, Pulaski CountyRadford and Wythe County.

 

HistoryThe county was created in 1776 and Christiansburg was selected as the county seat in 1777. The first courthouse was built by the Davis brothers in 1808 on the Courthouse Square. The second courthouse in 1815 was a rebuild of the previous courthouse. The third courthouse was a two story brick structure built by James Toncray in 1834 to 1836. The fourth courthouse was designed by Huggins & Bates and built by N B Moore in 1909 being a remodel of the previous courthouse with an Edwardian appearance. The courthouse was demolished. The fifth courthouse was constructed in 1975 to 1976 and is still standing. The sixth courthouse was constructed in 2009 to 2012.

 

Note:  The eagle from the 1909 courthouse cupola was saved and placed on the Courthouse Square. There is a similar eagle on the old Roanoke County Courthouse which was also designed by Huggins & Bates.

 

County Government Center – Christiansburg 

 

1014wv12

 

Location:  755 Roanoke Road / Chinquapin Trail

Built:  2000 – 2002

Style:  Industrial

Architect:  Thompson & Litton of Radford

Contractor:  Swope Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, steel and concrete former industrial building. The building is located in the center of Christiansburg and was converted into office space. The interior has an open atrium rising two stories to roof skylights.

 

 

1008wv12

County Courthouse – Christiansburg

 

 

1010wv12

 

 

1007wv12

 

 

1011wv12

 

 

1005wv12

Old County Courthouse – Christiansburg

 

 

a

Eagle from 1909 County Courthouse

 

 

1003wv12

 

 

1002wv12

 

 

1006wv12

 

 

1012wv12

County Government Center – Christiansburg

 

 

1013wv12

 

 

1015wv12

 

 

1016wv12

 

 

1017wv12

Photos taken 2012