Mathews County is named for Thomas Mathews, who was a British commander in the war of the Austrian Succession.
Created: December 16. 1790
Mathews 1791 – present
Old County Courthouse – Mathews
Location: 27 Court Street / Church Street
Built: 1792 – 1795
Architect: Richard Bilups
Contractor: Richard Bilups
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick structure. The “T” shaped building is located on the courthouse square with other county buildings. The east front has a central entrance with fanlight above. Above is a gabled roof with large fanlight. The roof is hipped with dormers. On the south side of the building is the Clerk’s Office designed and built by William H Brown in 1759.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Mathews County Courthouse Square
County Courthouse – Mathews
Location: 10622 Buckley Hall Road / St. Ives Street
Built: 2003 – 2006
Architect: Moseley Architects, Inc.
Contractor: Dobson Construction Corporation
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The “T” shaped building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a porch with three arches and pediment with fanlight at the roof line. The center section projects from the main building which extends north and south. On the center of the roof is a high square white colored cupola with open section at the top. A white colored band runs below the hipped roof.
N – Middlesex County
S – York County
Photos taken 2013