Martinsville is named for Joseph Martin, who was a pioneer and who settled in the area in 1778.
Independent City Created: February 25, 1942
Courthouse – Martinsville
Location: 55 West Church Street / Moss Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: J Coates Carter
Contractor: Stanley W Bowles, Corporation
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The entrance is located on the west side of the north front with a large white colored concrete section extending above the roof line. The window sections are vertical and a wide concrete band runs along the flat roof line. The building is named as the Municipal Building and houses the Circuit Court and General District Court.
Note: The old Henry County courthouse is located in the city.
N – Henry County
E – Henry County
S – Henry County
W – Henry County
Photos taken 2013