Louisa County is named for Princess Louise, who was the youngest daughter of King George II of Great Britain.
Created: May 6, 1742
Louisa 1742 – present
County Courthouse – Louisa
Location: 100 West Main Street / Elm Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: D Whiley Anderson
Contractor: Samuel Ragland
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a large portico with four tall Ionic columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a small balcony on the second story. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal drum with black colored lead coated copper dome and lantern at the top. The building was renovation and an addition constructed in 1997 to 2000. On the east side of the building is the old jail ( 1868 ) and on the west side is the R Earl Ogg Memorial Building ( 1917 ).
Note: The previous courthouse was construed in 1818.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Louisa County Courthouse
E – Hanover County
W – Albamarle County
Photos taken 2013