Isle of Wight County is named for the Isle of Wight off the southern coast of England.
Created: 1634 ( one of the original 8 shires )
Smithfield 1752 – 1801
Isle of Wight 1801 – present
County Courthouse – Isle of Wight
Location: 17000 Jasiak Park Crescent / Courthouse Highway
Built: 2008 – 2010
Architect: Moseley Architects
Contractor: Kenbridge Construction , Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces west and was completed in 2010. On the west front is a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story. On the north and south are smaller projecting sections which rise to peaks. On the roof is a large white colored cupola. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Young-Laine Courts Building.
Old County Courthouse – Isle of Wight
Location: 17100 Jasiak Park Crescent / Courthouse Highway
Built: 1800 – 1801
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Major Francis Boykin
Contractor: Major Francis Boykin
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a large portico with four narrow white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with white colored wood. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1815 and 1903. The building was renovated in 1954 to 1995. The architect was Paul D Woodward and the contractor was Z Turner. In 1987, additions were constructed on the north and south sides. The additions have numerous arches along an arcade and are named as the Memorial Addition. The architect was Talbot & Associates, Ltd and the contractor was Henderson, Inc.
Note: Major Francis Boykin donated the land for the courthouse and saw to the erection of the courthouse and the tavern on the south side.
Old County County Courthouse – Smithfield
Location: 130 Main Street / Mason Street
Built: 1750 – 1752
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: William Rand.
Contractor: William Rand.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building faces southeast and was completed in 1752. The front has an arcade with numerous arches. On the northwest side is a circular section with conical roof. The roof is hipped. The building was restored in 1938 and again in 1959 to 1961. The architect was A Lawrence Kockner.
N – Newport News
E – Suffolk
Photos taken 2013