Henry County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Henry County
1127VM13

Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was the first Governor of Virginia after independence.

 

Created:  October 7, 1776

County Seat: 

Martinsville   1777 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Martinsville  

 

Location: 1 East Main Street / Franklin Street

Built:  1824 – 1825

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  George Tucker

Contractor:  Samuel Taleferro

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with a descending slope on the north side. The south front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The second story has a wide balcony. The wood framed entrance with small pediments above are on either side of the portico. The roof is hipped. An addition were built on the north side in 1890 and the building was remodeled in 1929. The building is now the Heritage Center & Museum.

 

County Courthouse – Martinsville-Colinsville  

 

1138vm13

 

Location: 3160 Kings Mountain Road / Refuse Road

Built:  1993 – 1996

Style:  Modern

Architect:  The Moseley McClintock Group

Contractor:  Branch and Associates

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick, buff colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located north of Martinsville on landscaped ground with the Administration Building on the west side. The south front has a high round section towards the east side and has vertical pillars with glass panels between. The top of the section has a green colored dome. The center and west part of the front has vertical red colored brick dividers with windows between. The third story is recessed and has buff colored brick. The roof line is flat.

 

County Administration – Martinsville-Collinsville  

 

1149vm13

 

Location: 3160 Kings Mountain Road / Refuse Road

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a four story cream colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located north of Martinsville on landscaped ground with the Court House on the east side. The building has vertical concrete dividers with narrow vertical windows. A wide edge runs along the flat roof line.

 

Note  - Within the county is the independent city of Martinsville

 

Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County

E – Pittsylvania County

S – Rockingham County, North Carolina and Stokes County, North Carolina

W – Patrick County

 

 

 

1125vm13

 

 

1126vm13

 

 

1129vm13

 

 

1130vm13

 

 

1131vm13

 

 

1142vm13

 

 

1139vm13

 

 

1140vm13

 

 

1141vm13

 

 

1143vm13

 

 

1144vm13

 

 

1147vm13

 

 

1148vm13

 

 

1146vm13

 

 

1123vm13

Photos taken 2013