Hampton is named for either Southampton in England or for Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton, who was one of the founders of the Virginia Company.
Independent City Created: March 30, 1908
Elizabeth City County Seat
Hampton 1634 – 1952
Hampton 1952 mergered
Old Courthouse – Hampton
Location: 101 Kings Way / Old Town Lane
Built: 1878 – 1879
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Charles Taylor Holtzclaw
Contractor: Charles Taylor Holtzclaw and William Holtzclaw
Description: The building faces east and is a two story cream colored brick and wood structure. Some of the walls are from the previous courthouse which burned in 1861. The east front has an eight bay facade and a large portico with four white colored Ionic columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a round cupola with dome roof. The building was remodeled 1910 and the north wing was constructed. The architect and contractor was B F Smith Fireproofing Construction Company. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1962 and a further addition was constructed in 1972.
Note: The first Elizabeth City County Courthouse was built in 1699 by Walter Bayley. The second courthouse was built by John Hollaway in 1714 and the building burned in 1861.
Courthouse – Hampton
Location: 235 King Street / East Pembroke Avenue
Built: 2015 – 2017
Architect: MMM Design Group
Contractor: McKenzie Construction Corporation.
Description: The building faces east and presently under construction. The building will house the District Circuit Court.
N – York County and Poquoson
W – Newport News
Photos taken 2013