Halifax County is named for George Montague-Dunk, who was the 2nd Earl of Halifax.
Created: February 27, 1752
Halifax 1752 – present
County Courthouse – Halifax
Location: 8 South Main Street / Mountain Road
Built: 1838 – 1839
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Dabney Cosby and Son, Dabney Cosby, Jr.
Contractor: Dabney Cosby and Son, Dabney Cosby, Jr.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1904 and the architect was B F Smith Fireproofing Company and the contractor was South Boston Lumber. In 1964, the building was expanded on the west side forming a “T” shape.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Halifax County Courthouse
Photos taken 2013