Giles County is named for William branch Giles, who was a member of the United States House of Representatives and the Virginia General Assembly.
Created: January 6, 1806
Pearisburg 1806 – present
County Courthouse – Pearisburg
Location: 120 North Main Street / Wenonah Avenue
Built: 1836 – 1837
Architect: Thomas Mercer
Contractor: Thomas Mercer
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and wood structure. The south front has a portico supported by four thin columns rising to a pediment at the second story. The entrance is arched. There are lower east and west wings. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with green dome. The building has a hip roof. A three story rear section was constructed in 1900 on the north side.. The building was renovated in 2005. The architect was HDH Associates of Christiansburg and John P Cone, Jr. and the contractor was Thor, Inc. of Roanoke. The project manager was Mason B Montgomery. On the east side is the Sheriff Residence. On the north side is a one story modern Courts Building.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Giles County Courthouse
S – Bland County
W – Mercer County, West Virginia
Photos taken 2012