Frederick County is named for Frederick Lewis, who was Prince of Wales and the eldest son of King George II of Great Britain.
Created: August 1, 1738
Winchester 1743 – present
County Courthouse – Winchester
Location: 5 North Kent Street / East Boscawen Street
Built: 1982 – 1984
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum
Contractor: Howard Shookey and Sons, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. On the west front, the center section projects from the main building. On the west and south sides the first story has a series of concrete arches. The central entrance on the west side is recessed and dark glass panels rise above from the second to the third story. A horizontal band runs below the flat roof line.
Old County Courthouse – Winchester
Location: 20 North Loudon Street / Rouss Street
Built: 1839 – 1841
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Robert Clay Long of Baltimore, Maryland
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on a square in the center of the city. The west front has a large porch with four large white Doric columns rising to a pediment at the gabled roof, On the center of the roof is a square white cupola with clock at the top. The building served as the courthouse until 1984. The building now houses a museum.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built by John Hardin. The second courthouse was built in 1785. The cost of construction of the third courthouse constructed in 1840 was $12,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Frederick County Courthouse
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012