Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
W – Floyd County
Created: October 17, 1785
Rocky Mount 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Rocky Mount
Location: 275 South Main Street / East Court Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Harvey H Huggins
Contractor: Roanoke Sheet Metal Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. A small wrought iron balcony is above the central entrance. There are lower north and south wings. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with open section at the top. The roof is hipped. An addition was added on the east side in 1954. The architect was Smithey & Boynton and the contractor was Martin Brothers, Inc. An addition was constructed on the south side in 1989.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1830.
County Courthouse - Rocky Mount
Photos taken 2013