Fluvanna County is named for the Fluvanna River which was the name given to the James River west of Columbia and means “Annie’s River” in honor of Queen Anne of England.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Louisa County
W – Albemarle County
Created: May 7, 1777
Palmyra 1777 – present
Old County Courthouse – Palmyra
Location: 132 Main Street / Courthouse Square
Built: 1830 – 1831
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: General John Hartwell Cocke, the owner of nearby Bremo plantation
Contractor: Walker Timberlake
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Palmyra to the north of the courthouse. The south front has a large Greek Doric portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building is distinguished by the extensive use of stone for the column and pilaster capitals, steps, water table, window sills, and lintels. Two levels of windows on the sides as well as the three arched windows at the rear are separated by pilasters. Conspicuously inscribed on the stone lintel above the entrance is: “THE MAXIM HELD SACRED BY EVERY FREE PEOPLE – OBEY THE LAWS.” In the interior, is the courtroom with original balustrade around the judge’s bench. The two staircases are unusual in that both break for a landing about one third of the way up and are outfitted with lanterns. On the second story is a gallery in the courtroom. To the south is the old stone jail constructed in 1829 and to the northeast is the Clerk’s Office.
Note: Construction was probably done by slaves under the direction of Walker Timberlake, a Methodist preacher who undertook various architectural and engineering works in the county.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District
County Courthouse – Palmyra
Location: 72 Main Street / Courthouse Square
Built: 2000 – 2001
Architect: Moseley Harris & McClintock of Richmond
Contractor: Haley Builders, Inc. of Ashland
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Palmyra. The building descends a slope on the south side and on the north side the second story is the main entrance with two large columns supporting a pediment at the roof line. The center section projects from the main building and has a covered porch which extends west and along the east front of the west section which forms a separate building. The roofs are hipped. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 16th Judicial Circuit.
History: The county was created in 1777 and Palmyra was selected as the county seat in 1828. The court met in different locations until a county seat was established. The first courthouse was built in 1830 to 1831 and is still standing. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 2000 to 2001.
Old County Courthouse - Palmyra
Old Stone County Jail – Palmyra
Old County Clerk’s Office – Palmyra
County Courthouse – Palmyra
Photos taken 2013