Fauquier County is named for Francis Fauquier, who was Lieutenant Governor of Virginia at the time the county was created.
Created: September 14, 1758
Warrenton 1759 – present
Old County Courthouse – Warrenton
Location: SW – Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William H Baldwin of Warrenton
Contractor: John R Spilman
Description: The building faces north and is a two story yellow colored stucco over brick and stone structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The building faces north and was completed in 1891. The north front has steps leading to the large portico on the second story with four columns rising to a pediment at roof line. Along the sides are vertical pilasters dividing the arched windows. On the center of the roof is a high clock tower with tall octagonal section at the top with dome. The base of the building is horizontal stone. The roof is hipped.
Note: William H Baldwin designed the 1853 courthouse and his plans were used to build the new courthouse after fire destroyed the old courthouse. The old stone jail is located along the southeast side of the courthouse.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Warrenton Historic District
County Courthouse – Warrenton
Location: 40 Culpeper Street / West Lee Street
Built: 1972 – 1974
Architect: Johnson, Craven & Gibson
Contractor: Burroughs & Preston
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a wide porch supported by four brick pillars with flat roof. The recessed entrance has glass panels. The large windows are circular. There is a mansard roof. On the west side the building joins the four story buff brick County Building which descends the slope and faces onto Ashbury Street.
County District Court – Warrenton
Location: 6 Court Street / Main Street
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: W H Irwin Fleming
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The north front has a central entrance framed with stone. The first story windows are arched. A horizontal cornice runs between the first and second stories, Along the flat roof line is a balustrade. The building was the former Fauquier County Administration Building and now houses the District Court.
County Administration – Warrenton
Location: 10 Hotel Street / Court Street
Built: 1875 – 1876
Architect: John R Spilman
Contractor: CG B Cochran
Description: The building faces north and is a three story yellow colored brick and hotel structure. A white colored wood balcony runs along the first and second stories on the north and east sides. The building has a hipped roof. The building is linked to the courthouse and County Building on the south side. The building was constructed as the Warren Green Hotel.
East – Prince William County
Old County Courthouse
County District Court
Photos taken 2013