Fairfax County is named for Thomas Fairfax, who was the 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron and proprietor of the Northern Neck.
Created: May 6, 1742
Spring Field 1742 – 1752
Arlington 1752 – 1799
Fairfax 1799 – present
Old County Courthouse – Fairfax
Location: 4000 Chain Bridge Road / Main Street
Built: 1799 – 1800
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: James Wren
Contractor: John Bogue and Marengo Dykes
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building was constructed with Flemish Bond brick. The rectangular building has a wide first story porch on the east front with large arches. On the center of the roof is a white colored octagonal cupola. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is on the first story. The building was restored in 1964 to 1967. The architect was Walter Macomber. On the south side is the large addition constructed in 1930 to 1931. The architect was William I Denning. The building was expanded again in 1951 to 1953 with the addition of a center block with large white colored cupola and another wing identical to the 1930 wing. The architect was Robert A Willgoos and Dwight Chase.
County Courthouse – Fairfax
Location: 4110 Chain Bridge Road / Judicial Drive
Built: 1980 – 1982
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
Contractor: Equitable Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The center section projects from the main building with three large arched openings. Along the first and second stories are brick arches. The third story windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Jennings Judicial Center. In 2004 to 2007, the building was enlarged with construction on the south side and creation of a center open courtyard with higher section on the south side. The architect was HRD Architecture Inc. and Henningson Durham & Richardson of Alexandria and the contractor was Dick Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
W – Loudon County
Photos taken 2013