Dinwiddie County is named for Robert Dinwiddie, who was the Lieutenant Governor of Virginia from 1751 to 1758.
Created: May 1, 1752
Dinwiddie 1752 – present
County Courthouse – Dinwiddie
Location: 14008 Boydton Plank Road / Main Street
Built: 1995– 1997
Architect: Hening Vest Coving Chenault Company
Contractor: Gulf Seaboard General Contractors Inc. of Ashland
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story brick and concrete structure. The front of the building has a large portico with three arches on the first story and four columns rising to a curved pediment at the roof line. The first story is white colored brick and a wide horizontal white colored band runs above the second story windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $7,200,000.
Old County Courthouse – Dinwiddie
Location: 14101 Boydton Plank Road / Route 619
Built: 1851– 1852
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Captain Jones.
Contractor: Captain Jones
Description: The building faces west and is a two yellow colored brick story structure. The building faces west and was completed in 1852. The west front has a large portico with four Doric columns rising to a wide pediment which was built in 1933. Above the entrance is a small balcony. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1858.
W – Nottoway County
Photos taken 2013