Colonial Heights is named for an incident during the American Revolutionary War in 1781, when French troop known as the Colonials, set up artillery on the heights overlooking the Appomattox River.
Independent City Created: 1960
Courthouse – Colonial Heights
Location: 550 Boulevard / Lee Avenue
Built: 2011 – 2013
Architect: Moseley Architects, Inc
Contractor: Kenbridge Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The northeast front has a central portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building has a projecting north and south wing with wide pediments at the roof line.
Note: The cost of construction was $22,000,000.