Carroll County is named for Charles Carroll, who was a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence.
Created: January 7, 1842
Hillsville 1842 – present
Old County Courthouse – Hillsville
Location: 515 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1872 – 1874
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Ira Coltrane.of Hillsville
Contractor: Ira Coltrane.of Hillsville
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The shape of the building is a “T” with north and south wings. The southwest front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are three stone trimmed arches with stair cases in the outside arches. The window headers are stone. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored wood cupola. The roof is pitched.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Carroll County Courthouse
County Courthouse – Hillsville
Location: 605 Pine Street / Carroll Street
Built: 1998 – 1999
Architect: J A Gibson & Associates
Contractor: Branch & Associates Inc.
Description: The buildings face west and are two story red colored brick and concrete structures. The complex consists of three buildings. The center building has a wide portico with arched entrance on the first story. There is a balcony on the second story and a pediment at the roof line. There is a square building on the north side and another on the south side, and the buildings are connected to the center building. All the building have green colored roofs. The buildings are names as the Carroll County Government Center.
South – Surry County, North Carolina
West – Grayson County
Photos taken 2013