Campbell County is named for William Campbell, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War and was at the Battle of Kings Mountain in 1780.
Created: November 5, 1781
Rustburg 1782 – present
Old County Courthouse – Rustburg
Location: 800 Village Highway / Rails End Lane
Built: 1848 – 1849
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John Wills and Commissioners
Contractor: Shumaker and L M Shumaker
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is “T” shaped with the south front having a large portico with four white colored Doric columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. Stairs ascend to the second story entrance which is framed with white colored wood. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with green colored dome. The roof is hipped.
Note: John Wills, John G Meem, Chiswell Dabney, Odin G Clay, Samuel Tardy, Josiah Shepperson, and Richard Morgan were appointed commissioners to select a location and adopt a plan for building the new courthouse. No portions of the materials of the old courthouse were to be used in the new courthouse, and the old courthouse was to be sold in a public sale. Commissioners adopted a plan for the new courthouse and contracted for its building with Lindsay Shoemaker (Shumaker) on March 8, 1847. The cost of construction was $7,000.
See: The contractor, L Shumaker and L M Shumaker also constructed the courthouse in Pittsylvania County.
County Courthouse – Rustburg
Location: 732 Village Highway / Highway 501
Built: 1990 – 1991
Architect: Craddock Cunningham Architectural Partners of Lynchburg
Contractor: Coleman/Adams of Lynchburg
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a projecting one story center section with two brick pillars supporting a canopy. The roof of the entrance section is pyramidal. The north and south sections rise to wide white colored pediments at the flat roof line. The first story windows are large. An addition was constructed in 2009. The architect was Dewberry and the contractor was J E Jamerson of Appomattox.
West – Bedford County
Photos taken 2013