Arlington County is named for Henry Bennet 1st Earl of Arlington whose name was applied to a plantation along the Potomac River.
Created: February 27, 1801
Arlington 1801 – present
County Courthouse – Arlington
Location: 1425 Courthouse Road / 14th Street North
Built: 1991– 1994
Architect: Hanson Lind Meyer Design
Contractor: Ellinwood + Machado
Description: The building faces west and is a fourteen story concrete and glass structure. The building is a post-tensioned concrete flat slab design. The main entrance is on the west side facing a plaza with the Detention Center on the west side. The windows are vertical with panels between the stories. The south side has a glass paneled center section.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Albert Goenner and was constructed by Joseph H Hobson in 1889. Addition were constructed in 1929 and 1948 when the contractor was Lee T Turner. The next courthouse was designed by John M Walton & Associates and constructed in 1960. The cost of construction of the present courthouse and detention center was $75,000,000.
N – Washington, D.C.
E – Alexandria
S – Fairfax County
W – Fairfax County
Photos taken 2013