Appomattox County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Appomattox County
1287VM13

Appomattox County is named for the Appomattox River which was named for the Appamatucks Native Americans who resided in the region.

 

Created:  May 1, 1845

County Seat: 

Clover Hill      1845 – 1892

Appomattox   1892 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Appomattox

 

Location:  297 Court Street / Virginia Avenue

Built:  1892– 1893

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Hanock and Hardy

Contractor:  Hancock and Hardy

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick structure. The east front has a large portico supported by four large white columns with the pediment having a round window. The building has a rough stone foundation. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored wood cupola with green colored roof.

 

County Courthouse – Appomattox

 

1296vm13

 

Location:  297 Court Street / Virginia Avenue

Built:  2002– 2004

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Craddock Cunningham Architectural Partners of Lynchburg

Contractor:  J E Jamerson & Sons, Inc. of Appomattox

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a recessed center section with two white colored columns rising to a header and recessed circular window on the second story. The main entrance on the north side of the front has a rounded one story portico with four columns. On the south side of the building is a one story section. The roof is hipped. The building is attached to the old courthouse on the southeast. In front of the building is a large stone Flood Family Memorial Tomb.

 

Original County Courthouse – Appomattox

 

081c05

 

Location:  Courthouse Square – Appotattox Court House National Historic Park

Built:  1864

Style:  Modern Colonial

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure located in the town center of Appomattox Court House ( Clover Hill ) which is the Appomattox Court House National Historic Park. The building was rebuilt in 1964. The east front has a second story entrance with stairs ascending to a small porch with pediment below the roof line. The red colored roof is hipped. The architect for the rebuilt building was Henry Judd.

 

Note:  Near the courthouse, on April 9, 1865, General Robert E Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S Grant ending the Civil War.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Amherst County, Nelson County and Buckingham County

E – Buckingham County and Prince Edward County 

S – Charlotte County and Campbell County

W – Campbell County and Amherst County

 

 

 

1282vm13

 

 

1283vm13

 

 

1284vm13

 

 

1285vm13

 

 

1286vm13

 

 

1288vm13

 

 

1289vm13

 

 

1290vm13

 

 

1297vm13

 

 

1299vm13

 

 

1300vm13

Photos taken 2005 and 2013