Amherst County is named for Jeffrey Amherst, 1st Baron Amherst, who was a colonial governor of Virginia.
Created: September 14, 1758
Cablesville 1758 – 1762
Amherst 1762 – present
Old County Courthouse – Amherst
Location: East Court Street / Goodwin Street
Architect: Kilpatrick & Smith
Contractor: Kilpatrick & Smith
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick structure. The west front project from the main building and has a pediment at the roof. There are one story north and south wings. The windows have shutters. On the center of the roof is a white colored octagonal cupola. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1933. An addition was constructed on the east side in 1962. The architect was Clarence H Hinnant. The building is attached to the modern courthouse on the east side.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1762 and next courthouse built in 1812.
County Courthouse – Amherst
Location: 113 Taylor Street / 2nd Street
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: Hancock-Fuqua-Robertson Inc. of Lynchburg
Contractor: Sandy Pearce of Amherst
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a large portico in the center supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the columns is a glass wall. The north and south wings project from the main building. The roof line is flat. The old courthouse is attached on the west side. A further addition was constructed in 1977
East – Nelson County
West – Bedford County
Photos taken 2013