Alexandria is named for Phillip Alexander and John Alexander, who were brothers and area plantation owners.
Independent City Created: March 13, 1847
Courthouse – Alexandria
Location: 520 King Street / South Pitt Street
Built: 1980 – 1981
Architect: Saunders, Cheng & Appleton Ltd.
Contractor: Lawrence N Brandt and Construction Manager for Public Construction
Description: The building faces north and is a five story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a covered porch along the first story. The center of the north front is recessed with three arches leading into an open courtyard. The fifth story has a mansard roof with horizontal cornice below. The building is named as the Frank P Backus Courthouse.
Old Courthouse / City Hall – Alexandria
Location: 301 King Street / Royal Street
Built: 1871 – 1872
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Adolph Cluss
Contractor: Edward H Delahay of Alexandria
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The center section projects and has an entrance framed by two columns on the first story and rises to a steeple with clock and steep roof. The north and south wings project. The roof is hipped. The architect for the replication of the Latrobe steeple was Benjamin F Price. An addition was constructed in 1961. The building served as a courthouse until 1981 and now serves as the City Hall.
Note: The first Town Hall-Court House was designed by John Carlyle, Richard Conway and William Ramsay and built in 1752. The second Town Hall was built in 1817 and was destroyed by fire on May 19, 1871. The cost for construction of the present building was $45,000.
S – Fairfax County
W – Fairfax County
Photos taken 2013