Windham County is named for the town of Windham in Connecticut.
Created: February 22, 1781
Newfane 1781 – present
County Courthouse – Newfane
Location: 7 Court Street / West Street
Built: 1824 – 1825
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Jonathan Park
Contractor: Jonathan Park
Description: The building faces east and is a white colored wood structure. The east front has a large porch with four high white colored Doric columns rising to the extended roof with wide pediment. On the roof is a high square white colored wood bell tower with smaller section at the top and dome. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1853 to its present appearance. Originally the courthouse was a Federal-style, box-like structure. In 1907 the building was further enlarged at the west end. The building was repaired in 1998.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse and jail in 1825 was $10,000 and the land was donated by Jonathan Park who was involved in the design and construction.. The cost of remodeling in 1853 was $13,000. The bell is rung when a jury reaches a decision.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in Westminster in 1770.
Courthouse – Brattleboro
Location: 730 Putney Road / Main Street
Built: 1984 – 1985
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The center section on the south front projects from the main building. A wide horizontal band runs between the first and second stories. The hipped roof has red colored tile and gable ends. The building is located on landscaped grounds.
N – Windsor County
S – Franklin County, Massachusetts
Photos taken 2006 and 2014