Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: November 8, 1814
Montpelier 1814 – present
County Courthouse – Montpelier
Location: 65 State Street / Elm Street
Built: 1880 – 1881
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: B F Walker
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored structure. The building is located in the center of the city and has a ridged roof surmounted by a graceful clock tower in the center front. Local granite was used around the door and for the sills and lintels of the windows. Four large white pillars grace the large main south portico. The building was renovated in 1967 to 1969. The interior was remodeled to a modern look. However, the wooden stairway has been left intact. The architect was Ralph P Branson of Burlington. Behind the building stands the red colored brick jailhouse built in 1899 to 1900..
Note: The second courthouse built in 1844, was enlarged in 1879, but a fire the following year made a major reconstruction necessary.
District Courthouse – Barre
Location: 255 North Main Street / West Street
Built: 1980 – 1982
Description: The building faces south and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting cement entrance on the first story. The center section projects slightly with a vertical set of windows at the center. The windows on the building form a horizontal band around the building. The roof line is flat.
See: Located in the County is the Vermont Supreme Court.
Photos taken 2014 and 2018