Orange County is named for William of Orange, who was the Prince of Orange.
Created: October 18, 1785
Chelsea 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Chelsea
Location: 5 Court Street / Highland Avenue
Built: 1847 – 1848
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Horace Carpenter of Clelsea
Contractor: Horace Carpenter of Chelsea and Lafavor Waters of Randolph
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored structure. The building has a high white colored wood bell tower with gilded copper dome. The west front has a central entrance on the first story. At the roof line is a pediment. The roof is hipped. The building was extended on the east side in 1879. The building was again extended in 1997. The architect was The Burley Partnership.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $4228. The bell was cast in 1714 and installed in the Parish Church in Essex County and later installed in the courthouse in 1847. The bell is rung when a jury comes to a decisiion.
E – Grafton County, New Hampshire
S – Windsor County
Photos taken 2014