Caledonia County is named for the Latin word for “Scotland”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Orleans County
E – Essex County and Grafton County, New Hampshire
S – Orange County
W – Washington County, Lamoille County and Orleans County
Created: November 5, 1792
Saint Johnsbury 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Saint Johnsbury
Location: 1126 Main Street / Eastern Avenue
Built: 1856 – 1858
Architect: J D Tonle / Horace Carpenter
Contractor: Horace Carpenter of E & T Fairbanks & Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Saint Johnsbury. The west front has a small one story portico supported by two columns. The center section has a long arched window on the second story and rises to a gable at the roof line. The windows are arched. On the roof is a square cupola with white colored pillars and flat roof. The roof is hipped. On the east side of the building is a new four story addition. The main courtroom is located on the second story. On the east side of the building is a new addition constructed in 1995 to 2000. The architect was E H Danson Associates of Saint Johnsbury.
Note: Horace Carpenter was the chief carpenter for E & T Fairbanks & Company and the engineer of the St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County Railroad. He also designed and built the courthouse in Orange County.
History: The county was created in 1792 and Danville was designated as the county seat in 1796. The first court met in private homes. The first courthouse was built in 1802. The county seat was moved to Saint Johnsbury in 1856. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1856 to 1858. An addition was constructed in 1995 to 2000.
County Courthouse - Saint Johnsbury
Photos taken 2014 and 2018