Upson County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Upson County
0121G13

Upson County is named for Stephen Upson, who was a lawyer from Georgia and jurist.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Pike County  and Lamar County

E – Lamar County and Crawford County

S – Taylor County

W – Talbot County and Meriwether County 

 

Created:  December 15, 1824                Map of Georgia highlighting Upson County

County Seat: 

Thomaston  1824 – present

 

County Courthouse – Thomaston 

 

Location:  116 West Main Street / Center Street

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC

Contractor:  Gude & Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red-brown colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Thomaston. The east front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are similar porticos on each side of the building. The central entrance on the first story has a small pediment above. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a dome with clock at the top. In the interior is an entrance lobby and wood stairs. On the second story is the large County Superior Court courtroom. The high ceiling extend into the third story and there is a stained glass skylight under the dome.. The building houses the County Superior Court and County Juvenile Court of the 6th Judicial District. The building was restored in 1968. The architect was Adams and Pascuillis and the contractor was R H Smalling’s Sons, Inc. There was a second renovation in 1995 to 2000. In 2021 to 2022, the clock tower was restored by Campbellville Industries Inc. and replaced by SRS Construction.

 

See:  The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.

 

See:  The courthouse resembles the courthouses in Wilcox County and in Dubois County, Indiana  designed by Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC. The courthouse in Upson County differs in that it has four pedimented entrances and the clock tower is much plainer in design.

 

Note:   When constructed, the Upson County Commissioners placed a $10 bill in one of the columns so that the county would never be broke. P.W. Alexander, a Confederate War correspondent, was at the bombardment of Fort Sumter and sent the White family (of the Pettigrew-White-Stamps House) a cannonball, said to be the first one fired. It is mounted on the monument at the southeast corner of the courthouse lawn.

 

County Justice Center – Thomaston 

 

211g24

Underconstruction

 

Location:  Highway 19 South

Built:  2023 – 2025

Style:  Modern

Architect:  IPG, Incorporated of Valdosta

Contractor:  Parish Construction Group of Alpharetta

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story light orange colored brick, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the south of Thomaston. The west front has a white colored concrete section rising above the flat roof line and has a large rectangular shaped glass section with a canopy extends out from the first story entrance on the first story. In the interior is a large east-west corridor on the first story. There are two large Superior Court courtrooms, a jury selection room to serve also a board room, a grand jury room to serve also as a small courtroom and a law library. The building will house the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court, County Probate Court and County Magistrate Court of the 6th Judicial District.

 

 

See:  The 6th Judicial District includes Butts County, Carroll CountyClayton County, Coweta CountyFayette CountyHeard CountyHenry CountyLamar CountyMeriwether CountyMonroe CountyPike County, Spalding County and Troup County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1824 and Thomaston was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of John Turner. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in Thomaston in 1826 to 1828. The second courthouse was built in 1852 using the bricks from the former courthouse. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1907 to 1908 at a cost of $49,735. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2023 to 2025 at a cost of $22,000,000.

 

County Administration Complex – Thomaston 

 

0128g13

 

Location:  106 East Lee Street / Bethel Street

Built:  1922 – 1923

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Eugene C Wachendorff

Contractor:  J L Huggins

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Thomaston. The north front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Probate Court of the 6th Judicial District. The building was renovated for use by the County in 1997 to 1998 as the Upson County Government Complex. The architect was Dimery-Tyler, Associates of Oxford and the contractor was Reddick Construction Company of Thomaston. The building also houses the City of Thomaston offices.

 

Note:  The building was constructed in 1875 to 1876 as the Thomaston High School. the building was destroyed by fire in 1921. In 1922, the building was rebuilt. and served as the R E Lee Institute,

 

 

0115g13

County Courthouse – Thomaston

 

 

0117g13

 

 

0118g13

 

 

0119g13

 

 

0120g13

 

 

0123g13

 

 

1617f23

 

 

184g24

 

 

185g24

 

 

188g24

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

189g24

 

 

190g24

 

 

192g24

 

 

193g24

 

 

195g24

 

 

0125g13

 

 

197g24

 

 

0126g13

 

 

199g24

 

 

200g24

County Courthouse Annex – Thomaston

 

 

0127g13

County Administration Complex – Thomaston

 

 

0129g13

 

 

0130g13

 

 

0135g13

 

 

0136g13

 

 

208g24

Photos taken 2013 and 2023