Troup County is named for George M Troup, who was a Governor of Georgia.
Created: June 9, 1825
LaGrange 1825 – present
County Courthouse – LaGrange
Location: 100 Ridley Avenue / Broad Street
Built: 2004 – 2005
Architect: Judson S Bryant Associates
Contractor: Botson Cook Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The north front has a portico with seven columns. The building is finished with red colored brick with areas of white colored stone and dark brown colored brick. Along the south side there are white columns. The building is the Troup County Government Service Center.
Old County Courthouse – LaGrange
Location: 150 Ridley Avenue / Harrison Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William J J Chase
Contractor: A J Honeycutt Company Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story gray colored marble structure. The west front has a recessed center section with central glass entrance extending up to the second story. There are vertical windows on each side of the entrance. The south side has a projecting center section with glass entrance extending to the second story. The roof line is flat. The building now serves as the Troup County Juvenile Court.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Benjamin Cameron in 1830. The second courthouse was designed by Andrew J Bryan and constructed by C C Totherow & Company in 1902. The building burned in 1936.
S – Harris County
Photos taken 2010