Spalding County is named for Thomas Spalding, who was a noted political leader in Georgia, a congressman and a planter.
Created: December 20, 1851
Griffin 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Griffin
Location: 132 East Solomon Street / North 6th Street
Built: 1984 – 1985
Architect: Bilbro, Spandler & Manley of Griffin
Contractor: Reddick Construction Company of Thomaston
Description: The building faces north and is a four story three brown-red colored brick and concrete structure. At the north east corner is a large square five story brick tower with three arched entrances on the first story and with a clock at the fifth story and platform with white colored cupola at the top. The building is rectangular with a three story section on the north front which has a railing along the flat roof line and with a recessed fourth story with a flat roof line along to south side. The courtroom is located on the second story.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1911 was destroyed by fire on January 12, 1981 due to faulty electrical wiring.
Photos taken 2013 and 2018