Rockdale County is named for the Rockdale Church, which was named for the large amount of exposed and sub-surface granite and related rock found in the area.
Created: October 18, 1870
Conyers 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Conyers
Location: 922 Court Street / North Main Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: John H Cunningham & Associates
Contractor: CCC Builders, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The center sections on the east and west sides project slightly from the main rectangular building. On each side are porticos with four columns rising to a pediment at the third story. A cornice runs below the roof line and there are narrow horizontal bands between the floors. The roof line is flat. The building is connected on the south side to the old courthouse.
Old County Courthouse – Conyers
Location: NW - North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: William J J Chase
Contractor: Donald McIver Company
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a framed central entrance. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola. The sloped roof is green color. Additions have been added on the east and west sides. The building is connected to the new courthouse on the north side. On the west side is a one story building forming part of the courthouse complex. The building was renovated in 1993. The architect was Homer Lewis & Associates Inc. On the west end is another one story red colored brick building constructed in 1937 as a Post Office. The architects were Louis A Simon and Neal A Melick.
E – Newton County
S – Henry County
W – DeKalb County
Photos taken 2013