Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Butts County
Created: May 15, 1821
Forsyth 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Forsyth
Location: 38 West Main Street / Lee Street
Built: 1895 – 1896
Style: High Victorian Eclectic
Architect: Alexander C Bruce & Thomas H Morgan of Atlanta
Contractor: Knoxville Building & Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Forsyth. The east front has a one story portico at the first story entrance with four columns rising to a balcony on the second story. On either side of the portico rise projecting sections with large arched windows on the send story and with pediments above the roof line. Behind the portico is a high square red colored brick clock tower rising to an upper section with turrets on the corners and cupola at the top. The foundation is rough stone. The roof is hipped. In the interior there is a cross plan on the first story. Ornate newel posts adorn the stairs. The County Superior Court courtroom on the second story has a colored pressed metal ceiling, arched windows and gallery at the rear. There is a bow shaped railing which separates the litigation and spectator areas. The bench is large and impressive and centered in an apse defined by a segmental arch with decorative keystone, Hand painted in the pediment is a cartouche which swirls around the Georgia State seal. The building houses the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court and County Probate Court of the 6th Judicial District. The architect was Alexander C Bruce & Thomas H Morgan of Atlanta and contractor was Knoxville Building & Construction Company. In 1978 alterations were completed. The architect was Brittain/Thompson Associates of Macon and the contractor was Ethridge Brothers Construction Company of Gray. In 1990, the clock tower was restored. The contractor was LNC-Specialty Restoration Inc. of Dublin, Ohio. The building was restored from 2007 to 2010 by the Monroe County Maintenance Department. The Magistrate Court is located in the County Justice Center at 1431 L Cary Bittick Drive to the northwest of Forsyth
Note: The courtroom is one of most impressive courtrooms in Georgia. The coved ceiling of pressed metal in the courtroom is the only colored metal ceiling in a Georgia courthouse. The ceiling has a patina of bronze and burnt orange.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Monroe County Courthouse
See: The 6th Judicial District includes Butts County, Carroll County, Clayton County, Coweta County, Fayette County, Heard County, Henry County, Lamar County, Meriwether County, Pike County, Spalding County, Troup County and Upson County.
History: The county was created in 1821 and Forsyth was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Forsyth in 1825 and was torn down in 1895. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1895 to 1896 at a cost of $24,000.
County Courthouse – Forsyth
County Superior Court courtroom
Photos taken 2013, 2013 and 2024