Meriwether County is named for David Meriwether, who was a congressman from Georgia.
Created: December 14, 1827
Greenville 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 100 Court Square / La Grange Highway
Built: 1902 – 1905
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: James Wingfield Golucke & Company of Atlanta
Contractor: W W McAfee.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. On each side are porticos supported by four columns rising to pediments at the roof line. There is white stone trim at the corners and a stone base. On the center of the roof is a white octagonal dome with black roof, clock and small cupola at the top with a statue of Justice. The building was almost destroyed by fire on January 27, 1976 and was reconstructed from 1977 to 1980. The architect was Biggers, Scarbrough, Neal, Crisp & Clark of Columbus and the contractor was Williams Construction Company of Columbus.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Meriwether County Courthouse.
N – Coweta County
W – Troup County
Photos taken 2010