Lamar County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Lamar County
0139G13

Lamar County is named for Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar, who was a United States Representative, a Senator from Mississippi and a United States Secretary of the Interior.

 

Created:  November 2, 1920

County Seat: 

Barnesville  1920 – present

 

County Courthouse – Barnesville 

 

Location:  326 Thomaston Street / Holmes Street

Built:  1930 – 1931

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Eugene C Wachendorff

Contractor:  Barnesville Planing Mill Company

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northwest front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The center section of the building projects from the main building. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated and an addition constructed in 1978. The architect was Bilbro, Spangler & Manley and the contractor was Joe Ellis Construction Company. The building was expanded in 1998. The architect was Cropsey and Associates, Inc. of Griffin and the contractor was Hendricks Construction Company Inc. of Monroe.

 

Courthouses: 

Spalding County and Butts County 

E – Monroe County

S – Monroe County and Upson County

W – Pike County

 

 

 

0140g13

 

 

0141g13

 

 

0142g13

 

 

0143g13

 

 

0144g13

 

 

0145g13

 

 

0146g13

 

 

0147g13

 

 

0138g13

Photos taken 2013