Heard County is named for Stephen Heard, who was a hero of the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 22, 1830
Franklin 1830 – present
County Courthouse – Franklin
Location: 215 East Court Street / River Street North
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Tomberlin-Sheetz Architects Inc.
Contractor: Traylor Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front on the second story has arched windows along the street. A walkway runs around the building with the first story located down the hill on the east side. On the flat roof is a square raised section with flat roof.
Note: The first courthouse burned in 1893. The previous courthouse was designed by Bruce & Morgan and constructed by Waggoner & Gareflo in 1894.
N – Carroll County
E – Coweta County
S – Troup County
W – Randolph County, Alabama
Photos taken 2010