DeKalb County is named for Baron Johann DeKalb, who was a major general in the Continental Army and who was wounded in the battle of Camden, South Carolina during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 9, 1822
Decatur 1822 – present
Old County Courthouse – Decatur
Location: Courthouse Square / Ponce De Leon Avenue
Built: 1898 – 1900
Architect: Goluke & Stewart
Contractor: R P Williams & Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brown colored granite structure. The south and north sides have large porticoes with four columns rising to pediments with clocks at the roof line. The second story windows are arched. On the east and west sides are two story wings. The roof is sloped. During construction, R M Thompson was the inspector. After a fire on September 13, 1916, the building was re-built in 1917 to 1918. The architect was Walker & Chase and contractor was Donaldson & Pearson. The building now houses the Historical Society.
Note: On September 13, 1916, firefighters were called to save the county courthouse. Although the interior of the building was destroyed, fireproof safes protected most of the county’s records.
County Courthouse – Decatur
Location: 556 North McDonough Street / West Trinity Place
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Bothwell & Associates
Contractor: Beers Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a nine story white colored marble, steel, concrete and glass structure. The first story entrance has glass panels. There are vertical dividers between the windows. The roof line is flat. In 2001, an eleven story addition was constructed on the west side. The architect Heery International, Inc. and Turner Associates Architects and the contractor was Potts Construction Company.
W – Fulton County
Photos taken 2013