Clayton County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Clayton County
953F18

Clayton County is named for Augustin Clayton, who was a judge in Georgia and a congressman.

 

Created:  November 30, 1858

County Seat: 

Jonesboro  1919 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Jonesboro 

 

Location:  121 South Macdonough Street / Courthouse Way

Built:  1898 – 1899

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  W Golucke and Stewart

Contractor:  W W McAfee

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jonesboro. The west front has a high square red colored brick tower with arched entrance on the first story and with clock and steep roof. On each corner is a large square tower with steep roof. The corners are trimmed with stone. On the north side is red colored brick addition. The building was restored in 2001. The architect was Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum, Inc. and contractor was Turner Construction Company.

 

County Courthouse – Jonesboro 

 

0028a10

 

Location:  9151 Tara Boulevard / Post Way

Built:  1999 – 2000

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum, Inc.

Contractor:  Turner Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a four story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jonesboro. The center section on the east front projects from the main building and has five arches on the first story and ten columns rising to the roof line of the fourth story with pediment above. On the south and north sides, there is concrete facing on the first and second stories and red brick on the upper stories. Towards the south and north ends are projecting sections with the county seal at the top. The building is called the Harold R. Banke Justice Center.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Jonesboro

 

0018a10

 

Location:  121 South Macdonough Street / Courthouse Way

Built:  1977 – 1980

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Larry A Campbell Associates

Contractor:  John A Harte Architects & Engineers

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story concrete structure.  The roof line is flat. The building is located behind the old courthouse in the center of Jonesboro.

 

Old County Courthouse – Jonesboro 

 

948f18

 

Location:  142 North Macdonough Street / King Street

Built:  1869 – 1870

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Fay Corput and Maxwell D Corout

Contractor:  Fay Corput and Maxwell D Corout

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jonesboro. The building is rectangular in shape with long vertical windows. The west front has a central entrance with small circular canopy. The roof is hipped. The building is now a Masonic Hall.

 

History:  The first courthouse was a wood structure built in 1858 and was burned in 1864 during the Civil War. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1869 and is still standing. The third courthouse was constructed in 1898 to 1899. In 1962, a structure was constructed around the 1898 courthouse. In 1989 the fourth courthouse was constructed and in 2001, the 1962 structure was removed leaving the restore 1898 courthouse.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Fulton County and DeKalb County

E – Henry County

S – Splading County

W – Fayette County and Fulton County

 

 

 

0007a10

Old County Courthouse – Jonesboro

 

 

0008a10

 

 

0009a10

 

 

0012a10

 

 

0014a10

 

 

0016a10

 

 

0029a10

County Courthouse – Jonesboro

 

 

0031a10

 

 

0032a10

 

 

959f18

 

 

963f18

 

 

0023a10

County Courthouse Annex – Jonesboro

 

 

955f18

 

 

0024a10

 

 

947f18

Old County Courthouse – Jonesboro

 

 

950f18

 

 

952f18

Photos taken 2010 and 2018